Wednesday, July 25, 2012

MCGRAW HILL COM

This morning, I got a call that Caller ID brought up as “MCGRAW HILL COM.” The woman was barely intelligible, but began a conversation that went something like this:

“Hello, may I speak to [unintelligible] Drake?”

“Yes, this is Mr. Drake.”

“Hello?”

“Yes.”

“Is this Mr. Drake?”

“Yes, this is Mr. Drake.”

“Oh, okay. Hello, Mr. Drake. I am calling to talk to your about your computer, yes?”

“Okay.”

“Yes, well, I am calling to talk to you about your computer, because as you know, there are lots of threats on the Internet, yes?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“So what I want is to help you with your computer, yes?”

“Okay.”

“So now the first thing you are going to need to do is go to your computer, yes?”

“Sure. I’m there.”

“You are at your computer?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, Mr. Drake, and now I need you to turn your computer on.”

“It’s on.”

“It’s on?”

“Yes, it’s on.”

“Okay. Now, what I need you to do is look at your keyboard.”

“Okay?”

“Yes, now I need you to look at your keyboard, at the lower left, and tell me what key is there.”

“Control.”

“Control?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. And what key is next to that?”

“Option.”

“Excuse me?”

“Option.”

“Ah, yes. Do you have an AppleMac?”

“Yes.”

“Ah, yes. Thank you very much.” [click]

Gotta love it.

1 comment: